What is Medication Synchronization?
Medication synchronization is when the pharmacist coordinates the refill of your medications so you can pick them up on a single day each month. Many people miss doses of their regular medications and med sync can make you more likely to take them. Med Sync does the following:
- Eliminates the need to call in multiple prescription refills
- Allows you the convenience of fewer trips to the pharmacy
- Provides an opportunity to meet with your pharmacist on a monthly basis to discuss your medications
How it Works
- Talk to our pharmacists about enrolling in med sync.
- Once enrolled, pharmacy staff will review your ongoing monthly medications and develop a plan to synchronize them so they can be picked up on a single day each month that is convenient for you.
- Pharmacy staff may call you to confirm your pick up date about a week prior and identify any necessary changes that should take place before your prescriptions are filled.
- After reviewing any changes to your medications, the pharmacy staff will prepare each prescription and create one package for easy pick up on your scheduled date.
- On your scheduled day, you pick up all of your prescriptions at the pharmacy. At that time, you can ask the pharmacist any questions that you may have about your medication.
- The process repeats itself each month so that you can pick up all of your medications at once, and the pharmacist can identify potential issues to help you take your medication as prescribed.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Who is best suited for medication synchronization?
A. Medication synchronization is most helpful for patients taking multiple, ongoing monthly medications, the elderly, and patients new to chronic drug therapy.
Q. Why should I care about synchronizing my medications?
A. One-third of consumers have missed a dose of their medication because they didn't refill their prescription before it ran out. If you are not taking your medication as prescribed or missing or skipping doses, it can have serious side effects on your health including death. Through med sync, the pharmacist proactively refills your prescription so that you don't have to remember to call the pharmacy and they work closely with you to make sure that your medications are working for you and being taken properly.
Q. Will there be an additional cost or monthly fees?
A. No, there is no additional cost to you. The goal of med sync is for the pharmacist to synchronize your medications in the most convenient and cost efficient manner for you. Often times, the pharmacist will dispense a shorter or longer supply of medication for your first med sync pick up so that you can maintain your insurance coverage. It is best to ask your pharmacist about their strategy for synchronizing your medication.
Q. Will appointments be on a specific day? And at a specific time?
A. Pharmacists will work with you to determine a day that is convenient each month. You do need to pick up your prescriptions on that particular day in order for the program to be successful. Typically, your pick up will not be at a specific time unless you chose and depending on the availability of your pharmacist.
Q. Should I let my physician know that I am participating in a med sync program?
A. Yes, med sync has a positive influence on the relationship between you, your pharmacist, and your physician. Through med sync, you can all work together to improve your health. If your pharmacist identifies any issues during their monthly review of your medications, they can work with your physician on a solution.
Q. Will all of my medications be included if I chose to participate in a med sync program?
A. Not necessarily. There are some medications that are not appropriate for a med sync program, such as antibiotics, ointments, eye drops, and "as-needed" medications for pain.
Q. How many pharmacies are offering medication synchronization programs?
A. More than 5,000 pharmacies are offering med sync programs, but that number continues to grow. Ask your pharmacist if they offer a med sync program or if they can work with you to streamline your medications. Med sync is just one way that your pharmacist can help you improve your medication use - your pharmacist is an incredibly valuable resource for managing your health.